Normally when you visit your doctor or nutritionist they will advise you to cut back on the intake of fats because it is bad for your health but it is different when the fats in question are Omega-3 fatty acids. There are numerous benefits to the intake of Omega-3 fatty acids. Here we will only go over 7 Benefits of taking Omega-3 fatty acids that are arguably the most important.
1. Minimizing the risk of Cardiovascular Diseases – Research shows that fatty acids from fish oils contain anti-inflammatory properties so they can help prevent and even reverse the onset of cardiovascular diseases because they can result from inflammation of blood vessels.
2. Reducing depression – Adjusting to a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids significantly reduces symptoms of major depression disorder. Omega-3 has also been observed to increase the effectiveness of anti-depressants and it also suppresses symptoms of bipolar disorder so it is important for psychological well-being.
3. Delaying onset of Alzheimer’s Disease – Intake of a diet rich in Omega-3 is highly beneficial for an individual’s cognitive function. Omega-3 slows the cognitive decline often experienced in old age. It delays memory loss associated with aging consequently delaying the onset of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease.
4. Treatment of ADHD – For kids whose school performance is affected by symptoms of ADHD which include; inattention, being restless, impulsive behavior and hyperactivity, Omega-3 is an important element in their treatment plan. It helps improve the kids metal skills such as learning and memory and these helps alleviate symptoms of ADHD.
5. Treatment of Eye Disorders – Eye disorders such as cataracts that result from aging and the dry eye disorder can be reversed by Omega-3 fatty acids. Research involving patients with AMD (Age-related Macular Degeneration) revealed that these patients experienced significant improvement from taking seafood and a diet rich in fish oil. The improvement in the patients has been attributed to EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) which are natural sources of Omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Treatment of Arthritis – Patients with rheumatoid arthritis benefit from taking a diet rich in fish oil. Taking fish oil resulted in significant reduction in disease activity for these patients prompting the conclusion that Omega-3 is an effective supplement that aids in the therapy for the disease.
7. Reducing Anxiety – Intake of fish oil reverses symptoms associated with anxiety so it is important to introduce it to children’s diet during critical periods of their development. Introducing Omega-3 in a kid’s diet will help minimize their chances of developing anxiety later in life.
Omega-3 fatty acids have numerous health benefits so it is important to include it in one’s diet.